His Eminence Christopher, Metropolitan of the Midwestern American Diocese, has said that if it were not for the influx of Chetniks in the late 1940’s and early 1950’s, Serbian church colonies in the United States would have been significantly weakened.
This is indeed true, since under the leadership of their Vojvoda Momcilo Djujic, the Chetniks helped to erect and support many churches in the diaspora. This is most vividly illustrated by the plaque prominently displayed as one enters St. Sava Monastery in Libertyville. The plaque quotes the last words of the founder of the Ravna Gora Chetnik resistance during WWII and the Chetnik’s beloved leader, General Draza Mihailovic, where he expresses his allegiance to God and country and ends with the following: “In memory of General Draza Mihailovic, this plaque was put in place by his freedom fighters, the Serbian Chetniks, who have erected the belfry and contributed toward the restoration of St. Sava Monastery.”
The Chicago chapter of the Movement of Serbian Chetniks Ravne Gore was formed in 1951, with Holy Resurrection serving as their home church. In 1973, the Bellwood Chetnik chapter, which had dwindled in number following the unfortunate church split, was asked by Vojvoda Djujic to merge with the Chicago chapter.
During its existence the Chicago Chapter of the Movement of Serbian Chetniks Ravne Gore has supported its Holy Resurrection Cathedral whenever called upon to include the various building projects throughout the years. They have also helped to restore old churches and build new Serbian churches and have been very active in church relief efforts to help our brothers and sisters in the Old Country, especially most recently during the 90’s wars. The Chetniks continue to honor their oath of supporting their Serbian Orthodox faith and will continue to do so as long as they remain.